Encountering the ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT error while browsing in Google Chrome can be a source of significant inconvenience. This error typically occurs when a website takes too long to respond, leading to a failed connection attempt.
Understanding the reasons behind this error and knowing how to troubleshoot it effectively are crucial for maintaining a seamless browsing experience.
This article aims to provide a detailed understanding of the ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT error, its causes, and solutions.
- 1 What Does ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT Mean?
- 2 Common Causes of ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT Error
- 3 How To Fix ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT Error in Chrome
- 4 Final Words
What Does ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT Mean?
The ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT error signifies that a request to access a particular website or server in Chrome took longer than the allotted time, resulting in a timeout.
Essentially, the browser was unable to establish a connection with the website’s server within a reasonable period.
This issue indicates that the problem could be either with the user’s network connection, the website itself, or somewhere in between.
- WiFi Keeps Disconnecting
- Hell And Other Destinations: A 21st-Century Memoir
- Last Call Shameless Showrunner Says Goodbye To The Gallaghers
Common Causes of ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT Error
- Network Connection Issues: Problems with your internet connection can prevent Chrome from accessing servers within the required time frame.
- Website Server Overload or Downtime: If the server hosting the website is overloaded or down, it can lead to timeouts.
- Firewall or Antivirus Blocking: Sometimes, firewalls or antivirus programs can block certain websites or impede browser connections.
- Browser Cache and Cookies: Corrupted cache or cookies in Chrome can sometimes cause connection issues.
- DNS Server Issues: Issues with DNS servers, such as slow response or unavailability, can cause delays in resolving domain names, leading to timeouts.
- Incorrect Network Configuration: Improperly configured network settings on your device can hinder its ability to connect to the internet effectively.
- VPN or Proxy Interference: Using a VPN or proxy server can sometimes slow down or disrupt your connection to certain websites.
- Outdated Browser: An outdated version of Chrome might struggle to connect to modern web servers effectively.
- Extension Conflicts: Certain Chrome extensions can interfere with website connections, resulting in timeouts.
- ISP-Related Problems: Occasionally, the issue may stem from the Internet Service Provider’s side, such as network congestion or technical issues.
How To Fix ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT Error in Chrome
If you have faced this kind of error again and again then here are the few methods to solve the ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT problem in a quick way.
Method 1 – Make Sure Internet Connection is Working
Before you want to apply any hard method on your computer make sure that you have a good internet connection. A poor connection is the foremost causes found among all the other causes while facing the error.
Method 2 – Windows Hosts File
This method is only applicable to the users who have found the error ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT only in one website. But if this problem is coming in other websites as well then you can switch to next method given after this.
The reason for this error in one website is a blockage in IP addresses or websites due to which you are not able to browse those websites.
If you think the same reason for getting error in the website then you must check the Windows hosts file. To check the Windows hosts file follow the steps:
Step 1 – Go to Notepad, right-click on it then go to the option Run As Administrator. If you also have notepad++ on your computer, you can also use that.
Step 2 – On the top left window of the notepad, find the file option after that, click on the open option. Select the option “All types” in the rundown menu on the right-hand side.
Step 3- Following the above step, click on hosts. Check the notepad by scrolling if there is any list of IP addresses or websites made there with the “#” sign. If it is there, remove them and save changes.
Step 4 – And last, close the notepad screen and check the error by reloading the same side.
Method 3 – LAN settings
Another method is checking LAN settings again. Because of some of the viruses or other external factors, these can interrupt the settings of LAN. So, you can also check the LAN settings to be able to see the faults if they occur. To check the settings, follow the steps:
Step 1 – Navigate to Control Panel then view by large icons after that, click on Internet options. Then go to the Connections tab and click on LAN settings.
Step 2 – After that, un-ticks the three boxes and click OK.
Step 3 – Now, close all the Windows.
Undoubtedly, check the ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT error. If you feel that there is no need to make changes in settings then go to the next solution.
Method 4 – Renew IP Address and Flush DNS
One more reason for having such an error is IP and DNS issues. Therefore, to eradicate this kind of error renew IP address and flush DNS.
The steps are as follows:
Step 1 – To open the Run dialogue box, press Windows key + R altogether. Type in cmd in the dialogue box and click OK.
Step 2 – Type the following commands in the Command Prompt window and press Enter after each command:
netsh Winsock reset
After completing the process, close the prompt window and restart your computer system to see the changes you have made.
Method 5 – Disable Windows Firewall
Sometimes Windows firewall prevents the accessibility of some websites due to security reasons and hence causes the error ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT.
In that case, disable the Windows firewall at once and check whether the issue is still persisting or not. Given below are the steps to disable Windows firewall:
Step 1 – Search for the control panel on the search bar and click on it. Then, click on system and security.
Note: The above option is presentable to those who have the “Selected category” under “View by“.
Step 2 – Navigate to the Windows firewall. On the left-hand side on the screen, click on the option “Turn Windows Firewall On or Off“.
Step 3 – Click on the radio icon showing alongside with “Turn off Windows firewall off“.
Step 4 – And last on OK to save the changes.
You can also disable the firewall for public and private networks as well. But here, you can turn off the firewall for the private network is enough on its own. After executing this method, browse once again and check if the ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT error is still there or not.
- BitDefender Threat Scanner
- Theres Someone Inside Your House Review Problematic Secrets …
- Defending BMX Olympic Gold Medalist Connor Fields Is …
After implementing these solutions you will now be able to fix the ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT error while browsing on any website. The methods provided above are based on different reasons. These methods have been in use by many users.